“Prayer Shot” – November summary
On Tuesday 2 November, a small group of Staff Team, Filling Station Hosts and guests, gathered to pray online. Here’s our summary of this prayer meeting. Brian led with a word from Numbers, and left us with the questions:
- Numbers 20:7-13:
The Lord said to Moses, “Take the staff, and you and your brother Aaron gather the assembly together. Speak to that rock before their eyes and it will pour out its water. You will bring water out of the rock for the community so they and their livestock can drink.”
So Moses took the staff from the Lord’s presence, just as he commanded him. He and Aaron gathered the assembly together in front of the rock and Moses said to them, “Listen, you rebels, must we bring you water out of this rock?” Then Moses raised his arm and struck the rock twice with his staff. Water gushed out, and the community and their livestock drank.
But the Lord said to Moses and Aaron, “Because you did not trust in me enough to honour me as holy in the sight of the Israelites, you will not bring this community into the land I give them.”
These were the waters of Meribah, where the Israelites quarrelled with the Lord and where he was proved holy among them.
- Matthew 10:7-8:
As you go, proclaim this message: ‘The kingdom of heaven has come near.’ Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse those who have leprosy, drive out demons. Freely you have received; freely give.
- Jesus takes the prayers of the isolated and uses them. (Picture of Jesus picking up mushrooms – the prayers – and putting them together for his use.)
- Only the Lord can do it: In the Numbers passage, the rock was seemingly hard. Moses said to the people: must we bring water out of this rock? It wasn’t up to Moses and Aaron to do it themselves. It was something immoveable and only God could do it. Also, Moses later in Numbers, stepping up and didn’t need the prop. Praying that those leading the Filling Stations – their knowledge and assurance of God – their faith and their rest in God… would grow and grow.
- Relationships within the team: “Cherish relationships” and “pursue expectancy” within the context of our team. Don’t get caught up in the admin!
- The Lord producing something new and bigger and unexpected. (Picture of an egg and chick) The shell was the old Filling Station as it was before lockdown. This chick had been formed during lockdown, and it been chipping away out of the egg.
- We feel the Lord is re-affirming the call to rural ministry. 15 million people live in rural Britain – so many for us to bring to Jesus.
- We have authority over fear: Praying for a stepping up and a freedom to trust God for the water to flow out.
- Words from the song: Fear Not – Rejoice and Be Glad! The words from the song are something we need to carry.
- We need to be wholehearted, not half-hearted! We may be stripped back, but God is still at work and re-building.
- Praying for a new gift of creativity: the freshness of creation and new things.
Our final “Prayer Shot” this Winter is 8-9am, Tuesday 7 December 2021, with the same Zoom link. Please email Amanda for details.